-lc and -lm

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Fri Sep 8 09:09:00 GMT 2000

--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 09:58:30AM -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
> wrote:
> >Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 09:58:30 -0400
> >To: cygwin developers <cygwin-developers@sourceware.cygnus.com>
> >From: "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com>
> >Subject: Re: -lc and -lm
> >
> >At 08:35 AM 9/8/2000, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >>Back in B18 when I started using Cygwin these libraries were stub
> libraries.
> >>Is there a reason that they shouldn't be stub libraries instead of symlinks
> >>cygwin runtime?
> >
> >Good question.  I remember a discussion on the topic of exactly what form
> >these libraries should take in Cygwin back a long time ago.  I believe it
> >was Mumit who suggested that these libraries could (and should) be symlinks
> >(I may not be remembering this correctly.)  Anyway, its my impression that
> >having libm.a and libc.a be symlinks to libcygwin.a is sufficiently
> >problematic that it makes sense to explore other options.
> >
> >There.  Now that we have my opinion, someone can go ahead and fix the
> >problem!;-)
>
> What does "problematic" mean?  The reason for making them something other
> than stubs is that some packages search for symbols there.  IF they are
> empty libraries there won't be any symbols to search for.

Ah, that would be problematic.  So the solution:

1) modify ld?

2) modify the package configuration so that autoreconf will not add -lc or -lm
for the cygwin target?

3) live with it and deal with it on an individual bases?

Item 1 is the ideal; but, may be impractical.  Item 2 is doable but would take
years to get all of the package configurations modified.  Item 3 is what we
have now and IMO is not an acceptable solution.

Cheers,

=====
--- < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com > ---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >