Exporting symbols from a .exe

Mumit Khan khan@NanoTech.Wisc.EDU
Fri Feb 16 15:43:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> With MSVC you don't have to do anything special.  If I try --shared, the
> executable just doesn't work.

Coming in late on this, and DJ has already explained the issues,
specifically regarding how --shared assumes a DLL. Not hard to remove
that restriction, but I really ought need to look at the code before
making such assertions. I always used the old scheme for building
executables that export it's symbols (ld + dlltool multipass or using
dllwrap).

I'll do a few simple experiments with MSVC and see what goes on in there.
I'm curious -- is there a particular application of this in Cygwin runtime?

Regards,
Mumit