uname -s question

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Thu Feb 22 10:02:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 12:09:33PM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
>Does anyone use the information, that starts with the "_" in "uname -s"?
>For example on NT 4.0, I'm referring to the "_NT-4.0".
>
>My only "use" is to excise it during tests for Cygwin in things like
>the following:
>
>    autoconf (i.e. sh) scripts
>    bash scripts
>    makefiles
>    python scripts
>
>It is probably too late and quite naive to ask but...  Can this
>information be removed to facilitate testing for Cygwin?

I don't see why this is necessary.  It comes up repeatedly and the
extremely simple solution is to match on CYGWIN*.  Many other systems
use this convention.  For instance, look at gdb's configure.in or
configure.tgt script.  There is a 'hpux*' and a 'solaris*'.

The information *could* potentially be important.  Cygwin running on
NT is not the same thing as Cygwin running on 95.