Threaded Cygwin Python Import Problem

Jason Tishler Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
Fri Jul 13 09:49:00 GMT 2001

Greg,

I hope that you don't mind, but I've CC'ed cygwin-developers.

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 05:55:13PM -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> As you may know, I have a vested interest to see the Cygwin pthreads
> implementation succeed.  I have had some success in debugging whatever
> pthreads errors/anomalies I come across, and I am willing to spend a
> little time on this problem.

Thank you very much!

> I am vaguely aware what Python is; if I had to give an answer right
> now, I'd say it's an interpreted high-level oop type language, and
> probably competes with perl with oop extensions.

Correct (and a very good, concise assessment to boot).

> If you can give me *explicit* instructions on how to build Python
> under Cygwin and a sample script that causes the problem, I can
> probably generate a stripped-down testcase in c to illustrate the
> problem.

Please follow the procedure describe near the end of:

    http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2001-q3/msg00005.html

I have also attached it to this email for your convenience (and because
the attachments got "smeared").

I just realized that I forgot a few cd's.  The corrected instructions are:

    $ wget -P /tmp -nd ftp://mirrors.rcn.net/mirrors/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/contrib/python/python-2.1-1-src.tar.gz
    $ # save os.py patch to /tmp
    $ # save test.py attachment to /tmp
    $ tar -xzf /tmp/python-2.1-1-src.tar.gz
    $ cd Python-2.1/Lib
    $ patch </tmp/os.py.patch
    $ cd ..
    $ configure
    $ make
    $ cd Lib  # *** missing from original instructions ***
    $ patch -R </tmp/os.py.patch
    $ cd ..   # *** missing from original instructions ***
    $ ./python /tmp/test.py

Please let me know if you need any assistance -- I am very willing to
help you in anyway I can.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235