stat() whacks st_atime
Jason Tishler
jason@tishler.net
Thu Jul 26 07:40:00 GMT 2001
I'm trying to track down why st_atime gets "whacked" when calling
stat(). By "whacked," I mean set to the current time (or thereabouts).
The attached program, stest.c, demonstrates the problem. If one calls
it repeatedly, then the specified file's st_atime keeps changing.
I've tracked down the problem to the following (in fhandler.cc):
int
fhandler_base::close (void)
{
int res = -1;
syscall_printf ("handle %p", get_handle());
[1] if (CloseHandle (get_handle()))
[2] res = 0;
...
}
The st_atime is actually not affected directly by stat() and if stest is
stopped at [1] above, then the file's st_atime value is still unchanged
(as verified by a Win32 program). If gdb continues to [2], then the
file's st_atime has been changed.
Unfortunately, I cannot figure out what is affecting the change. Is
there a Cygwin background thread that wakes up when the handle is
closed and somehow affects the file's st_atime? Or, can CloseHandle()
itself somehow be the culprit. I'm really perplexed.
Does anyone understand what is going on?
BTW, this issue prevents mutt from detecting new mail in mbox folders.
I was able to temporarily workaround this issue by reconfiguring with
"--enable-buffy-size".
Thanks,
Jason
--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering Phone: 732.264.8770 x235
Dot Hill Systems Corp. Fax: 732.264.8798
82 Bethany Road, Suite 7 Email: Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
Hazlet, NJ 07730 USA WWW: http://www.dothill.com
More information about the Cygwin-developers
mailing list