'native' symlinks for 2K+

Corinna Vinschen vinschen@redhat.com
Fri Jul 26 10:50:00 GMT 2002

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 01:06:35AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> test.bat is a reparse to cygwin.bat (XP Pro). The MSDN doco says nothing
> about reparses being prevented from linking to files. Maybe that was a
> Beta 3 thing?

Hmm, I think I just remembered wrong.  I've just tested it by myself
and it's not a problem.

What is annoying is that a reparse point is always of the same
type as the destination, so a `ln -s dir dir2' must create dir2 as a
directory and hook up the reparse point data to it, while a
`ln -s file file2' must create file2 as a file.  This even changes
the commands needed to remove the link, DeleteFile() in one case,
RemoveDirectory() in the other case.  But that's solvable, of course.

However...

> Do the above points alter this interest?

...did you try to create a reparse point to a file on another drive?

Red Hat, Inc.