TCP problems

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@netscape.net
Mon Jul 29 13:45:00 GMT 2002

Conrad Scott wrote:

>"Pierre A. Humblet" <Pierre.Humblet@ieee.org> wrote:
>
>>Conrad Scott wrote:
>>
>>>Sorry: I should have been clearer there.  No: my test cygwin
>>>server doesn't duplicate any of its sockets (AFAICT etc. but
>>>
>I'm
>
>>>pretty sure).
>>>
>>Just to make sure I understand: it NEVER forks. Correct?
>>

>Never.  Ever ever.  Ever.  Not even once.
>

>>>It's a really simple server: blocking accept,
>>>read/write on the new file descriptor, then shutdown/close it
>>>
>and
>
>>>back to a blocking accept.  And it still hits the WASENOBUFS
>>>
>wall
>
>>>eventually (altho' it can be delayed by registry patches to
>>>increase various TCP parameters).
>>>
>>How long/how many accepts (more or less) is "eventually".
>>

>On my lovely little win98/SE box: one hundred connections minus a
>few.
>
>Nicholas Wourms (my (un)willing test accomplice) reported "~3
>minutes" of run time before hitting the same error: so he's
>getting a thousand or so (?) connections by the sounds of it.

Perhaps we could implement a counter to ascertain exactly how many
cycles until dies?  Either that or I could pipe netstat to a file and
have nano count how many open sockets there are...  That figure should
not be taken as exact, due to the fact I didn't run 'time' and was
guessing when you asked.

Cheers,
Nicholas