dll_list::detach() can stackdump

Jason Tishler jason@tishler.net
Tue Nov 12 06:53:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 12:18:31PM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
> I'm trying to debug a dll_list::detach() stackdump problem that I
> first triggered by a Cygwin Perl application.  Specifically, the
> problem occurs at the following dll_init.cc line:
>
>     void
>     dll_list::detach (dll *d)
>     {
> ***>    if (d->count <= 0)
>     }

Although, the following patch:

    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2002-q4/msg00103.html

fixes the problem for newly built DLLs, it does not (and cannot) correct
old (i.e., previously built) DLLs.

What is the best way to solve this issue?  Should dll_list::detach() be
changed to call IsBadReadPtr() to prevent stackdumps?

Thanks,
Jason