Avoiding /etc/passwd and /etc/group scans

Pierre A. Humblet Pierre.Humblet@ieee.org
Tue Oct 22 14:46:00 GMT 2002

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Why would that matter?  If setting reasonable acls is going to hurt the
> CYGWIN=nontsec case then that's not good either.

Setting reasonable acls has no negative impact, neither with ntsec nor
with nontsec. nontsec has two main effects;

1) It reports the modes blindly as 644, while making some effort about the
x bits, *irrespective* of the Windows access rights.

2) It always  reports success on chown, chmod etc... while actually
doing nothing (except sometimes setting the files readonly).

> >Here's a short term workaround, until we fix setup.exe.
> >
> >Add a .bat file as a postinstall script that scans the cygwin tree and
> >sets executable rights to .exe and .dll files using the cacls command.
>
> If it is that simple, then sure.  Pierre is this doable?

Surely yes if the user running setup is a member of the administrators group
and the drive is local.
Answer probably more complicated if he isn't in administrators or the files
are on a network drive.
You can use cygwin programs to do that, if they were extracted with x permission
and ntsec is on.

I am completely in the dark about what your ultimate goal is.
was there an earlier discussion?

Pierre