True case-sensitive filenames

Gerald S. Williams gsw@agere.com
Wed Jan 22 19:47:00 GMT 2003

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Huh?  Weren't we talking about using POSIX_SEMANTICS to provide
> case sensitivity?  I wasn't straying from that.

Good, we were on the same page. I was getting worried. :-)

Unfortunately, Microsoft didn't provide POSIX_SEMANTICS for
CreateDirectory(), RemoveDirectory(), or MoveFile(). We can
provide NT-specific alternatives for all three, although it
may not be possible to provide case-sensitive replacements
(at least not portably) under Win9X/ME.

Another option would be to accept (and document) the naming
restrictions that using those functions would cause, but it
sounds like you already ruled that out.

-Jerry

P.S. Assuming we're going with the NT-specific alternatives,
     we still need to implement a case-sensitive directory
     rename. I expect it may require the Native API. I wish
     there were some way I could take a quick peek at NT's
     MoveFile() implementation. :-)