[dk: RE: Oh dear, pthreads and stdio still not mt-safe :-(]

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@netscape.net
Thu Jan 8 17:07:00 GMT 2004

vinschen@redhat.com wrote:

> On Jan  8 11:04, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
>
>>While we're on the subject, I was scanning newlib the other day and I
>>spotted two functions of interest in libc/unix -- `pread' & `pwrite'.
>>Unfortunately, we do not build in the unix dir, since most of our unistd
>>functions are provided inside the Cygwin tree.  Would anyone object if I
>>submitted a patch to newlib which would allow Cygwin to build in that
>>dir?  The plan would be to add:
>>if !defined(UNISTD_PROVIDED)
>>to the other unix sourcefiles which provide functions we already have.
>

> Does that make sense?  pread and pwrite are the only functions in this
> directory, which are not already implemented in Cygwin internally.
> Isn't it easier to add our own pread and pwrite implementations to
> Cygwin, which could directly access the underlying fhandler?

Ok, I'll see about adding cygwin-specific versions to syscalls.cc since
that is what they are.    I just thought that people prefered using
newlib, but I guess what you're saying makes sense.

Cheers,
Nicholas