Fw: File name too long problem -- maybe fix coming?

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Wed Jan 9 14:20:00 GMT 2008

On 09 January 2008 13:54, Eric Blake wrote:

> According to Corinna Vinschen on 1/9/2008 5:44 AM:
>> Actually, for a couple of weeks I'm already wondering if we shouldn't
>> better set PATH_MAX to 32000 or even a smaller value like 16384.  That's
>> still a darn long path and it's much more safe to handle.
>
> If we follow Linux' lead, then set PATH_MAX to the largest sequence we are
> willing to handle at once (even 4096 would be fine by me) in the arguments
> given to most syscalls

  Another reason to keep PATH_MAX lower is that people tend to be pretty free
about declaring auto (stack local) char arrays of that size; that's no problem
when it's ~260, but if we made it 128kB it could start to be an issue in terms
of application stack usage.

    cheers,
      DaveK