Filenames with Win32 special characters (or: Interix filename compatibility)

Fri Jul 11 13:18:00 GMT 2008

On Jul  2 14:50, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Two months later, here's a question:  Should we start to allow real case
> sensitivity?  Changing the above registry key is not exactly rocket
> science.  I had this idea to change the definition of non-managed and
> managed mounts like this:
>
> - non-managed means case-insensitive and not converting chars to the
>   UNICODE Private Use Area.  This means sticking to good old Win32
>   compatibility.
>
> - managed means, all file operation are using case-sensitivity and
>   special chars (:,<,>) are converted to the Private Use Area.
>   Still, that won't work with fork/exec, due to using the Win32
>   function CreateProcess.

If nobody has an opinion, I'll implement it as above and we can just
see how it works out.  It's not really tricky, just conditional path
case matching and setting a flag in calls to InitializeObjectAttributes.