[RFC] Cygwin libstdc++ plan (operator new/delete replacement)

Fri Oct 2 05:27:00 GMT 2009

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 06:31:21AM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>Why isn't this handled by change #1.362 to dcrt0.cc?
>
>It is! I was using -61 instead of the snapshot.
>
>>That should always set cxx_malloc unconditionally (which, now that I
>>think of it, might not always be what you want either).
>
>Yeh, I'd like to replace these hacks with something that copies back
>the updated entries if it finds the malloc stuct pointer has been
>redirected, and then resets the pointer if it has been either nulled or
>redirected.  Also remove the hack in cygwin_external;

Actually, I take it back.  Setting this to cxx_malloc is fine since it
is the contents of that structure that are supposed to be changed, not
the pointer itself.  The cxx_malloc pointer should essentially be
read-only and should never change.

I don't see how you can remove the cygwin_external call as long as there
are dlls out there which reset this field in cygwin_crt0.cc.  You just
need one problem dll and this causes all sorts of bad problems when