Avoid collisions between parallel installations of Cygwin

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Tue Oct 13 15:01:00 GMT 2009

Earnie Boyd wrote:

>>> What kind of "knowledgable" user would be using a FAT-formatted drive?
>>> ;-)
>>
>> Someone with a USB stick, unfortunately.
>>

> I just purchased a USB port 1 Terabyte drive preformatted as FAT32.
> Of course the first thing I did was to convert it but not everyone
> would check it.
"Of course"? Even a "knowledgable user" might deliberately leave it as
FAT to share it on a Windows/Linux dual-boot system.
Cygwin would not be well-advised to assume or even require to reside on
NTFS for some specific purpose without need.

About the "allow parallel installation" configuration: if needed at all
(as I understand it, the "always allow it" option is still open in the
discussion),
why not have it simple and dynamic with the CYGWIN environment variable?

Thomas