Avoid collisions between parallel installations of Cygwin

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 19:40:00 GMT 2009

2009/10/13 Earnie Boyd:
> I'm confused.  Doesn't 1.7 set the root / directory based on the location of
> the dll?  Doesn't this help restrict the cross DLL talk?  So 3PP cygwin1.dll
> will have its /bin while net distro has a different /bin and the two will
> never cross?  If some executable is in a directory requiring cygwin1.dll and
> that same directory has a different cygwin1.dll the cygwin1.dll that is used
> is the one that started the process and not the one that is in the same
> directory as the exe file.  Only if I change directory to the directory
> containing another cygwin1.dll will there be collision.  At least that is
> the experience I have with MSYS.

From Corinna's original mail:

"The basic problem which has to be solved to get this working is to avoid
collisions of the names of globally shared objects within the multiple
Cygwin process trees.  Affected objects are shared memory regions, tty
names, pipe names, and the names of any other IPC object.  Last but not
least, a Cygserver started from one installation should not collide with
a Cygserver started from another installation."