Avoid collisions between parallel installations of Cygwin

Earnie Boyd earnie@users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 15 15:12:00 GMT 2009

Quoting Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>:

> On Oct 15 12:40, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Oct 15 02:18, Larry Hall (Cygwin Developers) wrote:
>> > really more
>> >    concerned about any others that I most certainly haven't even dreamed
>> > of.  Has
>> >    anyone started enumerating a list of "possible problems" that
>> we may see
>> >    popping up on the list if we allow multiple, disjoint Cygwin
>> > environments in the
>> >    wild?  Should we be trying to think of the potential problem areas so
>> > that we
>> >    can assure ourselves that we have a good chance of being able
>> to classify
>> >    them and offer responses and solutions (or policies) for them?
>
> And then there's this:  How many problems has been reported where
> there's no "multiple Cygwin" message, and only the cygcheck output
> revealed that there are multiple Cygwin DLLs in $PATH?  With the patch,
> you're trading situations like that with situations in which no problem
> occurs just because there's no collision.  In my eyes that's a win.
> Especially with your registry idea added to it.

I have seen zero issues on the MinGW lists about multiple MSYS.  And
this ability has been existent since the first release of MSYS.  And
the stop of complaints is why I allowed it.

--
Earnie