Avoid collisions between parallel installations of Cygwin

Wed Oct 21 16:56:00 GMT 2009

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Oct 21 18:02, Dave Korn wrote:
>> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>
>>> I think you're making this too complicated, really.  If I have to
>>> tweak the DLL in any binary fashion, it does not the least matter
>>> at which point in the binary blob the data is.  And the advantage of
>>> using a global structure with defined, *simple* content should be quite
>>> clear, compared to some resource layout which is not exactly under
>>> our control.
>>   But you can put any arbitrary binary blob into a resource, including your
>> struct, and edit-it-in place there, can't you?
>
> Sure, but it still requires to use FindResource/LoadResource/LockResource
> instead of just reading the data from a global variable.

  And of course it can't so usefully be edited by standard editors in that
case.  So I guess it would only be worth doing if we were going to implement a
whole bunch of standard options that we particularly wanted to make
human-readable and editable as plaintext resource strings.  I agree that it's
not worth doing here and now in the absence of a clear requirement for it.

    cheers,
      DaveK