alternate charset

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 20:42:00 GMT 2009

2009/9/23 Corinna Vinschen:
> The alternate
> charset, typically only used for the graphical characters anyway,
> could be either CP 437, or what GetOEMCP() returns.

I think the alternate charset should be fixed to CP437. That's what
PuTTY and mintty do, and here's the relevant line from
http://linux.die.net/man/4/console_codes, the man page for the Linux
console:

ESC ( U 		Select null mapping - straight to character ROM

And from the CP437 wikipedia page:

"Today, [CP437] is still the primary font in the core of any EGA and
VGA compatible graphic card, i.e. the text you can see on screen when
a PC reboots, before any other font can be loaded from a storage
medium, is rendered with this code page."

(Btw, the "alternate charset" is a PC-specific thing. vt100 and xterm
don't have it.)

Andy