console vs ^X

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 11:28:00 GMT 2009

Trying the latest DLL with Corinna's patches (thanks!), I noticed the
following issue in the console.

With the charset configured to something other than UTF-8, if you
press a key that isn't in that charset, the console will send a
^X-UTF8 sequence. ^X is special to readline though, hence weird
effects might ensue.

Changing ^X to yet another control character wouldn't help, because
they all either already have a special meaning or might be assigned
one by the user or applications.

Therefore, I'd say the console should not be employing the ^X and F0xx
schemes designed for filenames (but it does need to continue to use
the charset determined at process startup).

Andy