crossbuild cygwin-1.7.6-1 on linux x64

Chiheng Xu chiheng.xu@gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 02:24:00 GMT 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Christopher Faylor
<cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please@cygwin.com> wrote:

> Huh?  At least two people here routinely build cygwin on linux.  The
> release itself is built on linux.
>
> You don't need a cygwin dll to build cygwin on linux.  The build is
> intended to be self-contained.  It was built on linux pretty much
> from day one before there was a working compiler for Windows.
>
> If you've given the proper command line arguments to configure, the
> cygwin configure script does not try to generate an executable.  Or,
> rather, if it does, that's a bug.  You *do* need to have a working
> cross-compiler though.  It's been a while since I had to bootstrap one
> but I know it isn't terrifically difficult if you understand
> cross-compilers.  I suspect that isn't the case for you and this isn't
> the mailing list to learn how to build one.

This seem nice for me !

Last year, I have tried to cross build Cygwin( and its toolchain)  and
MinGW (and its toolchain) from Linux( 32bit and 64 bit), I also have
tried to cross build glibc and linux kernel and toolchain in Cygwin
and MinGW+MSYS,  just to learn how to cross build system library and
toolchain.

>>Last year, I also tried to build cross toolchain for Cygwin in Linux,
>>I hacked the configure scritps and Makefile.ins in source of Cygwin
>>DLL to get rid of uncessary component. At last, I got a cygwin1.dll,
>>But I could not  build remaining part of gcc, the reason is unknown.
>
> Since cygwin1.dll is not really part of gcc, it seems that you're
> confused about what needs to be done.

use

../binutils/configure  --target="i686-pc-cygwin" --disable-nls  &&
make && make install

../gcc/configure  --target="i686-pc-cygwin"  --disable-nls
--enable-languages=c,c++  && make all-gcc  && make install-gcc

only generate a "bare" toolchain.

The issue it how to use the "bare" toolchain to build Cygwin DLL, and
rest of gcc.

If you cross build glibc in Cygwin, you will face a similar problem.

>>If you have interests, you can study the build procedure of MinGW cross
>>toolchain.
>>
>>Last year, when I tried to cross build Cygwin DLL and glibc of Linux,
>
> If you're trying to build glibc on Cygwin then, yep, it's possibly a
> problem.  There is no reason to equate that with your inability to build
> cygwin on linux.

For me,  they seem similar.

> That is utter nonsense.  Before you cast aspersions like this you really
> need to make sure you know what you're talking about.  And, you don't
> know what you're talking about so you shouldn't be casting aspersions.
>
> If you want to lurk on this mailing list that's fine but I don't want to
> go down a rat hole of finger pointing and misinformation.  Perhaps you
> should take this discussion to the cygwin list.  This type of thing is
> more appropriate there.

Sorry, I don't want to annoy anyone.

--
Chiheng Xu