Cygwin CWD vs. Win32 CWD (was Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: vim-7.3.003-1)

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 11:51:00 GMT 2010

On 26 August 2010 09:06, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug 26 01:45, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> >Actually, new idea: is there some reason why we don't just cd out of the
>> >way when we detect that a deletion of a directory failed?  We could try
>> >to set the current working directory in cases where it's possible, only
>> >setting it to the pipe location when we actually try to delete it.
>> >Wouldn't that pretty much solve the problem?
>>
>> Answering my own question: that would only catch the case where one program
>> was cd'ed to the location.  If another program also had the directory as
>> its current directory then the rmdir would fail.
>>
>> But is that an acceptable compromise?
>
> I don't think so.  The common case is that another process is holding
> the dir, not the own process.

You may well be right there, but IIRC, the only actual problem case
that's been cited in this discussion concerned the process' own
working directory:

On 20 August 2010 19:52, Reini Urban wrote:
> I had this case only once in a perl module, svn-bisect if I remember
> correctly and the maintainer quickly adjusted his linuxism to be more
> friendly to other platforms. i.e. working around rm `pwd` was not an
> issue at all.

Therefore I think if we were to go the Win32-compatible route, cgf's
idea would at least improve Linux compatibility, without damaging
Win32 compatibility.

But yep, it's still a choice between one or the other.

Andy