Cygwin Filesystem Performance degradation 1.7.5 vs 1.7.7, and methods for improving performance

Larry Hall (Cygwin Developers) lhall@cygwin.com
Wed Sep 29 18:49:00 GMT 2010

On 9/29/2010 2:29 PM, Derry Shribman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> xstat() is a new Linux system call that allows a user-mode application to
> specifically request more (or less) stat information.
>
> Since this is a new Linux API, it requires porting for existing Unix
> application to replace every single stat() calls in their code to xstat() in
> order to benefit from this API.
>
> This is quite a big change in the code - and application maintainers will not
>  rush to change their code until this new Linux kernels with this API are
> commonly installed.
>
> So it does not fit what Cygwin needs because: 1) it requires a lot of change
> to existing code of every single application. 2) it will take many years
> until it will be available on most of the installed Linux kernel images.

OK, so if we accept that as a premise for the sake of argument, why would
application developers be more inclined to support a Cygwin-specific solution
to this problem than they would a portable one?  Every existing usage of
stat() still needs to be inspected before any solution is implemented at
the application level.

--
Larry