RFC: Cygwin 64 bit?

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) yselkowitz@users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 28 19:51:00 GMT 2011


On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 21:21 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 28 12:35, Charles Wilson wrote:
> > Not /this/ libtool person.  I would LIKE to be able to distinguish
> > between 32bit and 64bit DLLs on both cygwin and mingw.  I'd support a
> > change to libtool for cygwin64 DLLs to have an alternate prefix
> > (cyg64*?), and (if it's not too late, horse/barn situation) I'd also
> > support a similar change for mingw64.
> 
> cyg64 sounds like a good idea to me.

Sorry, but please trust me, this is a BAD idea.  We do NOT want to open
that proverbial can of worms.

> It would be a good way to allow to reside 64 and 32 bit stuff in the
> same /bin dir.

Can *someone* tell me why this is absolutely necessary?  I have yet to
hear a single reason that wouldn't be solved by supporting parallel
installations like we did with 1.5-to-1.7.


Yaakov




More information about the Cygwin-developers mailing list