crash on latest cygwin snapshot

marco atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 08:05:00 GMT 2012

> [redirecting to cygwin-developers]
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 04:43:06PM +0200, marco atzeri wrote:
>> On 6/27/2012 3:46 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry, Marco.  Nevermind.  I duplicated this.  No need to upload anything.
>>> I'm still working on it.
>>
>> it seems solved on 20120702 snapshots
>
> Thanks for confirming.  I suspect that this snapshot really only masks the
> problem.  The stack was getting corrupted by something but I was having a
> really hard time figuring out what was doing it.
>
> Compiling path.cc without optimization or passwd.cc without
> -fomit-frame-pointer "fixed" the problem but clearly something is wrong.
>
> I tried building Cygwin with stack probes and that made the DLL
> unrunnable.  I tried instrumenting it with -finstrument-functions and
> that made the problem go away.
>
> The problem is that something, somewhere along the line, replaces a
> frame pointer in the stack with 0x10c (268) and the return address with
> zero.  So, eventually, when a function returns, %ebp is set to 0x10c and
> the program jumps to address zero.  That is one manifestation.  In others
> the 0x10c is still there but it is interpreted as a pointer to something
> and dereferencing it causes a SEGV.
>
> 0x10c is 256 + 12 but I haven't been able to find that anywhere in the
> source.
>
> Your test triggered a problem which has existed in Cygwin since last November.
> I noticed it in snapshots going back to 2012-11-14.  But, when I tried to
> build a version of Cygwin from before that time, it still manifested the
> problem.  I did change to gcc 4.5.3 around that time so I'm thinking that
> either this version of gcc exposed a problem in Cygwin or Cygwin has exposed
> a problem in this version gcc.  There was an odd problem in select() where
> it seemed like constructors weren't being properly run on a local variable
> when alloca was used in the same function.
>
> cgf

gcc-4.5 has some issue on windows platform (cygwin and mingw)
for wrong optimization of function return value on C++ code.

On octave I catched a fault that corrupted the stack
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?34210

and the solution was to add a "volatile" declaration
profile_data_accumulator::query_time (void) const
{
   octave_time now;

   // FIXME -- is this volatile declaration really needed?
   // See bug #34210 for additional details.
   volatile double dnow = now.double_value ();

   return dnow;
}
On the other platform volatile was not needed.
The nightmare was that while stepping with gdb the fault did not arise

I will not be surprised if cygwin could be hit by similar issue.

Marco