[PATCH] Use automake (v5)
Sun May 2 15:28:58 GMT 2021
On 20/04/2021 21:13, Jon Turney wrote:
> For ease of reviewing, this patch doesn't contain changes to generated
> files which would be made by running ./autogen.sh.
Some possible items of future work I noted:
* Documentation is now always built (rather than dangerously ignoring
Although this is half-arsed at the moment, as we don't require the
documentation tools at configure time, we'll just fail when the rules
are executed if they are missing.
Perhaps there should be explicit configuration to build documentation or
* Use AM_V_GEN to silence (most?) custom rules
* -Wimplicit-fallthrough, -Werror could (should?) be set in top-level
Makefile.am.common, rather than individual subdirs
* Some custom rules have multiple outputs and workarounds to ensure the
rule only runs once
Ideally these would be re-written using make 4.3 'grouped targets', but
perhaps not yet...
* Some custom rules could be simplified
e.g. mkvers.sh generates version.cc and winver.rc, then runs windres on
* 'make our include directories absolute so we don't have to worry about
making them relative to the subdirectory we happen to be building in' is
sufficiently obscure that it at least deserves a comment.
* Rather than a huge list of --replace options to mkimport inline in the
Makefile, it might be more sensible to augment that tool the read a list
of replacement names from a file, and put them there.
More information about the Cygwin-patches