[PATCH] Cygwin: Improve FAQ on early breakpoint for ASLR

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Wed Dec 14 17:37:35 GMT 2022


On 11/12/2022 14:45, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> On December 11, 2022 2:54:02 PM GMT+01:00, Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 05/12/2022 15:23, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>>> On Mon, 28 Nov 2022, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>>> On Nov 28 13:00, Jon Turney wrote:
>>>>> On 15/11/2022 10:46, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> It would be great if we could get used to using the same syntax as the
>>>>>> Linux kernel project to document stuff.  I'm trying to follow their lead
>>>>>> for a while.  For fixes to former commits, it looks like this in the
>>>>>> kernel, at the end of the commit message:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Fixes: 123456789012 ("title of commit 123456789012")
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Yeah, core.abbrev is 12 digits.  I'm using this setting for quite some
>>>>>> time locally.
>>>>>
>>>>> Sounds good.  Is there some script to automate generating this kind of
>>>>> comment from a commit-id?
>>>>
>>>> I don't think so, at least I don't see anything like that in git docs...
>>>
>>> It's note _quite_ what you asked for, but `git show --pretty=reference -s
>>> <commit>` (https://git-scm.com/docs/git-show#_pretty_formats) gives you
>>> _almost_ what you are looking for.
>>>
>>> But you can always call `git show -s --format='%h ("%s")' <commit>`, and
>>> even configure an alias for this:
>>>
>>> 	git config --global alias.pretty-print-commit \
>>> 		"-c core.abbrev=12 show -s --format='%h (\"%s\")'"
>>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> I added '-c core.pager=', but this is what I was looking for, to save a
>> bit of copying and pasting and editing.
>>
> 
> Better use `git -P`, then... (see https://git-scm.com/docs/git#Documentation/git.txt--P for full details)
> 

I started off with that, but that fails when used with:

fatal: alias 'pretty-print-commit' changes environment variables.
You can use '!git' in the alias to do this

... which I'm sure tells me the right way to write this :)



More information about the Cygwin-patches mailing list