[PATCH 0/4] Fix out-of-order keystrokes

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin@gmx.de
Tue Mar 17 14:57:15 GMT 2026


Hi Takashi,

On Tue, 17 Mar 2026, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Mar 2026, Takashi Yano wrote:
> 
> > Could you please test?
> 
> Yes, I tested. There is already a problem in the `cmd.exe` test I
> introduced in response to your feedback. What it does is to launch
> `cmd.exe`, wait a few milliseconds, and then start typing `echo
> <long-string>`.
> 
> As you can see from the output here, that does not work. The first two
> characters never make it to `cmd.exe`, and besides, `cmd.exe` is then
> stuck:
> 
> -- snip --
> $ cmd.exe
> eMicrosoft Windows [Version 10.0.26200.7984]c
> (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
> 
> D:\git-sdk-64\usr\src\MSYS2-packages\msys2-runtime\src\wip\ui-tests\msys2>ho ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789
> -- snap --

Oh, I see what happened. I tested the wrong patches: You sent your series
in reply to mine, but did not mark it as "v1.5" or "v2" or anything, so my
script picked up the first 4 patches from my original patch series, and
the last two from yours.

And then you sent the v2 of your 4/6 as a stand-alone patch (i.e. not
inside the thread):
https://inbox.sourceware.org/cygwin-patches/20260317141043.410-1-takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp/raw
This not-v2 and then only one patch v2 business is quite confusing, to be
honest.

So now I tested with your 1/6-3/6, v2 4/6, then 5/6 and 6/6. This time,
`cmd.exe` does not even show up:

-- snip --
me@work MINGW64 /d/git-sdk-64/usr/src/MSYS2-packages/msys2-runtime/src/wip/ui-tests/msys2 (main)
$ cmd.exe
ech|
-- snap --

The `|` there is not even a real pipe symbol, but the cursor. I couldn't
use regular copy and paste because MinTTY is now hanging so badly that it
does not react to mouse interactions anymore, I had to use Windows+Shift+T
to OCR the text.

Maybe it is time to take a step back, stop offering patches, and analyze
this by first talking about what is _supposed_ to happen in the scenario
tested by the AutoHotKey script? I mean, it's not written down anywhere
what the Pseudo Console support code is _supposed_ to do, apart from the
code itself, and since that code has bugs (obviously) it cannot serve as
proper documentation of the intended design.

Ciao,
Johannes


More information about the Cygwin-patches mailing list