console question

mwoehlke mwoehlke@tibco.com
Thu May 18 19:06:00 GMT 2006

Ack, http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU reformatted. Also PCYMTNQREAIYR.
(For the record, I am not /technically/ guilty of that; my mailer quotes
the name, which in "clayne"s case, *is* an e-mail address.

Also taking my own advice and TITTTLing.

Hammond, Robin-David%KB3IEN wrote:
>  On Thu, 18 May 2006, mwoehlke wrote:
>> clayne -at- anodized.com wrote:
>>> Do you use a 640x480 screen? Full screen for a console sounds like a
>>> grand
>>> waste of field of vision.
>>
>> Eh, I *love* my full-screen consoles... sooo much text you can see at
>> once! Of course, I also have no fewer than... um... four ;) monitors
>> here.
>
> I find a full screen console for each monitor is the way to go. the
> program 'screen' is a better way to juggle multiple windows than any
> graphics window manager in my experience, Mac OS X has nice
> transparencies, but it doesn't interoperate with X11 very well (at all
> AFAIK).

Personally, I am very happy with Konsole run full-screen for juggling
sessions. The tab bar with *names* is a nice way to keep track of what
you have going, and I get 197x71 with the only "frills" being the menu
bar (which I could get rid of if I wasn't worried about finding it
again), a very useful scroll bar, and the aforementioned session tab
bar. Of course, it doesn't let me "detach" remote sessions, but I can
live with that if I can see my sessions at a glance and don't have to
learn the keys for 'screen' :-).

--
Matthew
Hey, buddy, if it's OT, TITTTL!