[ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 22

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Thu May 3 12:37:00 GMT 2001

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 01:25:09PM +0100, Alan Hourihane wrote:

>> > I am not going into any more discussion.  If you read the mail list from
>> > last week.
>> > Chris Faylor mentioned "cyg prefix is considered depricated...."  So ARE ALL
>> > THE DLLs
>> > are going to CYG  PREFIX?  I guess NOT.
>>
>> But that has nothing to do with the cyg prefix. The name of
>> the dll itself is in fact not worth to discuss. The problem
>> is in using _any_ other libz library besides the libz which
>> is provided by the Cygwin base distro. Moving it to latest
>> wouldn't be a problem but I don't think that matters.
>>
>People perceive the contrib section to be something that is not usually
>required. We either need to move it to latest, so it becomes a required
>component. Or, we document it in Cygwin/XFree86 with the following .....

Um, isn't XFree86 itself sort of a "contrib" section that is not usually
required?

>"Cygwin/XFree86 uses it's own zlib library. If you wish to rebuild X with
>native zlib support from cygwin, you need to get the zlib package from
>the contrib section and install it. Secondly add the following to your
>host.def file.

How about:

"Cygwin/XFree86 uses zlib from the cygwin contrib section.  Make sure that
you have downloaded the appropriate Cygwin libraries for correct operation."

This seems a heck of a lot more friendly than asking people to rebuild.

cgf