[ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 22

Schaible, Jörg Joerg.Schaible@gft.com
Fri May 4 02:33:00 GMT 2001

Hi Rob,

>Jorg,
>you _do realise_ that libz is part of xfree86 nowadays - the one in the
>main cygwin distro.... is a fork.
>Suhaibis correct.

Hmmm. What qualifies that version as fork ? IMHO it has just another DLL
name, but no different sources. If that is enough to entitle it as fork,
well, I won't argue about that ;-)
As Chris explained it is linked with the normal library (which is a platform
dependent import lib forcing your app loading a DLL with a specific name)
and a Cygwin user/ported should not care about it.

>What may/should happen in the future is that the xfree86 one
>is built as
>cyglibz.dll and replaces the current one in cygwin contrib.

Anyway, as Cygwin developer I do not expect to have two different versions
of the same library and I would not like to take care wich library I have to
use depending wether I port a Unix app using X or not.

... well, now I've read the complete thread and, yes, the two versions are
forked. Additionally I think all necessary was said by Chuck.

Jörg