WindowMaker and XFree86

Capiez Lionel lcapiez@prosodie.com
Fri May 11 03:33:00 GMT 2001

Hello,

As a coincidence, I also tried to compile WindowMaker yesterday. However,
being new at Cygwin/Xfree86, I got stuck at the libPropList stage. Could you
please tell me where you got libPropList from and how you got it to compile?
(should anything trickier that a "make" be involved)

Thanks in advance.

Lionel

--
PROSODIE [ http://www.prosodie.com ]
Lionel Capiez -- lcapiez@prosodie.com -- (+33) 4 72 80 72 28

-----Message d'origine-----
De : vdibartolo@smallworld.com [ mailto:vdibartolo@smallworld.com ]
Envoyé : jeudi 10 mai 2001 18:00
À : cygwin-xfree@sourceware.cygnus.com
Objet : WindowMaker and XFree86

All,

	I recently compiled WindowMaker 0.64.0 on my Windows NT 4.0 SP5 box
using CygWin 1.3.1 and XFree86 4.03.  I'm wondering if anyone has a similar
setup as I have and is experiencing a couple of annoying glitches and some
inoperability.  To save time, here's a short list of things:

	1.  First and foremost, gcc crashed my Win98 machine when I tried to
compile the libPropList required for WindowMaker, which is why I'm only
using it on Winnt
	2.  WindowMaker doesn't consistently load the first time I run
startxwin.bat.  I usually have to execute startxwin.bat 2 times for it to
"stick" (i.e. load).  See the bottom of the email for the relevant lines in
my startxwin.bat file.
	3.  When WindowMaker does come up, I get the following message:
"wmsetbg warning: could not open domain file
/home/administrator/GNUstep/Defaults/WindowMaker".  This file exists and is
readable (with proper case on each path element).
	4.  Any changes I make to my environment (e.g. adding workspaces,
renaming them, adding docked icons) are saved to
/home/adminstrator/GNUstep/Defaults/WMstate when I save them, but are not
loaded when I restart WindowMaker for another session later.  This and the
above point (#3) seem to indicate that WindowMaker is having problems
resolving the path to "/home" being that the filesystem is Windows and the
path is more like "E:\cygwin\home".  Sound likely?
	5.  Small but annoying - the "xterm" item on the WindowMaker
right-click menu launches an xterm just file but I cannot rid myself of the
xterm in any way other than killing it.  This behavior is not shared by the
rxvt term.  If I dock an icon that launches xterm or otherwise open an xterm
this problem goes away.

	Any help on any of these would be appreciated.  I am assuming that
these errors are particular to WindowMaker in CygWin otherwise I would have
posted to a WindowMaker-specific list.  Thanks again.

	-Vinny

startxwin.bat (REM'd lines removed):

@echo off
SET DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
SET PATH=.;%PATH%;\cygwin\bin;\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin;\cygwin\usr\local\bin

start XWin -screen 0 1024x768x32 -whitepixel 255 -blackpixel 0 -engine 4
start wmaker&
@echo on