basic stuff

Ling F. Zhang lingfengz@yahoo.com
Tue May 15 18:22:00 GMT 2001

I just got started with xfree86/cygwin..and I
basically followed instruction on the user guide
online when I do the installation...
when I type startx (or XWin or use
startxwin.bat)...the following err message appear:

$
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be
set to root
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Windows 95/98/Me
winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Returning, supported
engines 00000007
winSetEngine () - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed () - WindowClient
width 640 height 480
winInitVisualsShadowDDNL () - Masks 0000f800 000007e0
0000001f RGB 6 d 16
winInitVisualsShadowDDNL () - Returning
error opening security policy file
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Could not init font path element
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from li
st!

I am particularily concern with the first one about
not being root and one of the last ones about could
not init font path and SecurityPolicy...
is there anything wrong? how should I go about
configurating it...I should not that XFree86 can start
and I am able to work with windows manager like vtwm.

meanwhile, here's another problem:
when xfree86 starts, it annoyingly uses usr/sh as its
shell, I would like to use bash but don't want to run
it everytime I start xfree86? any solution?