[ANNOUNCEMENT] Cygwin/XFree86 DocBook-based FAQ draft

Johannes.Becker@hrz.uni-giessen.de Johannes.Becker@hrz.uni-giessen.de
Tue May 22 02:15:00 GMT 2001

Am 22 May 2001, um 2:41 schrieb Harold Hunt:

> I have posted a draft of the DocBook-based FAQ to:
> http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/docs/faq/cygwin-xfree-faq.html
> In particular I need help with 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, and 4.6 regarding non-U.S.
> keyboard layouts.

I installed cygwin-xfree on Win98 and it looks good!

some Notes:

1) startxwin.bat

Win98 doesn't understand the "/B" option in lines like
 start /B xterm
and Win98 complains about lack of space for environment variables.
I therefore suggest that the main part of startxwin.bat is done
in a shell script startxwin.sh. In my case Startxwin.bat  looks like

 D:
 chdir \Programme\cygwin\bin
 bash --login -i -e /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh

startxwin.sh is attached below.

2) a german xmodmap

On SuSE-Linux the command

  xmodmap -pke > Xmodmap.de

produced a keybord file that works fine
with cygwin-xfree. See attachment.
I added the xmodmap command to startxwin.sh

(After installing cygwin-xfree there was no directory
/etc/X11
Is that ok? )

3) Displaying characters

In order to display umlauts the file .inputrc has to be
evaluated. Therefore it is necessary to add the option
 -ls
to the xterm and rxvt commands in startxwin.sh

Thanks for cygwin-xfree!!
  Johannes