startxwin.bat fails

Harold Hunt huntharo@msu.edu
Fri May 25 11:53:00 GMT 2001

> Wouldn't it be more practical to have xwin output
> an information message when the display depth cannot
> be handled, rather than having to answer incessantly
> the same question?

I had thought about the same thing, just haven't had time to get to it yet.
:)

I was going to write such a patch a couple days ago but then the FAQ stuff
took center stage.

However, I see something interesting about this user's error message:
> > winInitVisualsShadowDD () - Masks: 00000000 00000000 00000000 bpRGB: 0

Normally I know that a user is running Windows at 8 bits per pixel because
the bpRGB field gets set to 8 when we query DirectDraw for the current
display mode.  However, this user's bpRGB is 0, which I haven't seen before.
Perhaps there is something else going on with this particular user's
problem...