Help with Xfree, KDE

Mellor, Mike Mike.mellor@tbe.com
Fri May 25 18:57:00 GMT 2001

I have installed XFree86 under Cygwin, and can get it to run, but I have
several questions (and probably all inappropriate for this list, but here
goes):  :)

Should each application running under X have a Win95 application running as
well (I see each of the applications running along the taskbar, and each has
its own dos box)?

What shell is running in Xterm and rxvt?  I am having trouble with simple
commands (cd /usr/bin returns an error).  Also, there is no command history
(which I do have under CLI Cygwin with BASH).

I am trying to run KDE.  I have added to the PATH for both the qt dll and
the kde dll.  startxwin.bat seems to start correctly (no error messages) but
the terminal programs have no border (just boxes that do not respond to
input).

What does the /B switch do in startxwin.bat?  When I had the /B switch in
the bat file it generated an "invalid switch" error; when I removed it, the
applications loaded.

Thanks for the help.

Mike