Problems startting XWIN

Kenneth Porter shiva@well.com
Wed May 30 13:28:00 GMT 2001

On Wed, 30 May 2001 16:17:58 -0400, Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:

>> _XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root

I found that deleting the /tmp/.X11-unix subdirectory before starting
the server got rid of this message. I have this in startxwin.cmd:

rem cleanup after last run
attrib -s c:\tmp\.X11-unix\X0
del c:\tmp\.X11-unix\X0
rmdir c:\tmp\.X11-unix

(I could probably add "if exist" to each line to suppress any error
messages.)

>> error opening security policy file
>> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
>>
>> so the xwin didn´t start.

This file and the directory it's in are not in the standard
installation. I got around this by creating the directory
/etc/X11/xserver (the other is a symlink to this) and creating an empty
SecurityPolicy file in it ("touch /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy"). I
also added -ac to the Xwin command line.

Ken
mailto:shiva@well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]