Pre-compiled X11R6.3 libraries available

Christian Soeller csoelle@sghms.ac.uk
Mon Apr 21 04:04:00 GMT 1997

Arlindo da Silva <dasilva@woodmore.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

> > Finally, will X11 work on a laptop without a network connection ? Is the
> > speed reasonable ?
>
> Yep, this is precisely what I do. Performance is quite good, even for
> animation (of geophysical flows, that is). The only glitch I know of is
> the occasional delayed handling of X events.

I tried the combination of X11R6.3 + MI Xserver under cygwin32 and it works
nicely. However, trying it on my win95 laptop which doesn't have a network
interface nor *any* network protocols support installed I always get
'can't open display' with all DISPLAY settings I have tried so far
(localhost:0.0 , DEFAULT:0.0, 0.0, etc).

I presume you need at least TCP/IP support even if you don't have an interface
since the open display command probably internally tries to get a socket
which will always fail when *no* network protocols are installed ?

I'd appreciate if any body could confirm this diagnose or point out
alternative reasons why the open display fails.

Best regards,

  Christian
-