String.h vs string.h bug...

Larry Hall lhall@rfk.com
Fri Apr 25 07:01:00 GMT 1997

At 04:29 AM 4/25/97 EST, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
>Heya.
>
>Don't know if this has been found before, but I think I have a bug in
>the 17.1 beta release...
>
>Very simply, when compiling a C++ program that includes <string.h>,
>the preprocessor includes <String.h> from the C++ include directory,
>instead of the (lower case) string.h from the C include dir. This
>isn't a problem under Unix, I suppose, since "String.h" and
>"string.h" aren't the same file, but under Windows 95, it's causing
>problems. Besides annoying warnings of "implicit" declarations of
>strchr(), I get programs that won't compile due to this error:
>
>myfile.cc:23: ANSI C++ forbids comparison between pointer and integer
>
>ugh. For the time being, I've been adding the function prototypes
>myself (usually just need strcpy and a few others...), but this needs
>to be fixed/worked around.
>
>Thanks,
>--Ryan C. Gordon.

I simply added:

#include "../string.h" to my String.h file.  This means I will still get
the C++ strings include file but this will also include the C strings file
as well.  This may be more than I want sometimes but for any number of
reasons which I won't iterate here (unless someone wants to hear them!;-))
I think this is reasonable.  So far, its worked for me nicely!

RFK Partners, Inc.                      (617) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (617) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02181

-