results from building cygwin from source
Mon Apr 28 14:41:00 GMT 1997
For anyone else out there planning to build cygwin from
source, I thought I would share my experiences so you
wouldn't need to solve the same problems I did.
1. Do not unpack the cdksrc and usersrc packages in the
same directory. When I did this, tar(1) seems
to append onto files with the same name that already
exist. So in may case I got a copy of the shell
script move-if-change that had two copies of the
shell code in one file. It would always fail
because the first copy would do the right thing and
then the second copy of the script in the same file
would always fail.
2. While configuring I got two errors. I don't know if they
are a problem or not. Many subdirectories printed
both of these messages
configure: test: too many arguments
sed: file conftest.subs: line 27: Unterminated 's' command
I haven't tracked down the cause yet, but the build
seemed to go OK.
3. The file bash-Makefile refers to yacc instead of byacc.
My machine does not have yacc, so this failed. I
just edited the makefile to use byacc.
4. After building both cdksrc and usersrc, it used this much
cdkobj 110 MB
cdksrc 209 MB
userobj 21 MB
usersrc 53 MB
total 393 MB
This is on an NTFS partition, under a FAT partition it
would probably be more.
5. After the build had finished there was a process called psize.aux
running and using all the CPU time. I assume it got hung up
because its name includes the DOS reserved word AUX which the
cygwin32 FAQ warns about. The file psize.aux is used by
bash/builtins/Makefile and bash/builtins/psize.sh, but I
don't know for sure these are where the process came from.
Thats all for now. I haven't tried to run the newly built version
so there might be more.
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"firstname.lastname@example.org" with one line of text: "help".
More information about the Cygwin