directx

Eric Britten ebritten@uci.edu
Fri Aug 1 21:34:00 GMT 1997

I am glad that the headers in SDK_4_ming_cygwin32
will compile using g++.  I just downloaded the files to patch my mssdk
platform headers.

However the name mangling conventions of VC++ are irrelavent.  If you
write code that uses C++ and OLE it doesn't matter what compiler you
because you only work with interface pointers.  All functions that your
program calls in other DLLs are declared and exported in C with no name
mangling(this doesn't count interface functions but you call them
through pointers).  One calls the C functions to get interface pointers
to objects.  You can work with C++ or C with these functions.  It's
easier in C++ because you type less.  In C you must pass a pointer to
the object as the first parameter of any interface function.  In C++
this is the equivalent of the this pointer which is handled implicitly.
For example:

pUnknown->AddRef(pUnknown);  //C
pUnknown->AddRef();  //C++

And it gets worse if you declare your own objects in C as opposed to
C++.

I have built a shell extension with modifications of the SDK headers and
a shell extension example.  Although it crashed my system I know that
there were no link errors.

Hopefully the headers in SDK_4_ming_cygwin32 will allow me to compile,
link and debug a working shell extension without crashing my Win95
machine.  Thus far I have been unable to so.

Eric Britten

-