Ctrl-Z

Geoffrey Noer noer@cygnus.com
Sat Aug 9 00:28:00 GMT 1997

[...]
> Ctrl-Z IS NOT USED FOR MARKING THE END OF FILE SINCE MS-DOS 2.0!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Does gnu-win32 want to be compatible with DOS 1.0?
>
> The real problem behind this, and that is why it makes me mad, is that nobody
> at Cygnus is reading this bug reports, so the same unfixed bugs remain
[...]

Nope, I read them.  :-)

Believe it or not, we have customers who have huge source bases where all
their files end in ^Zs.  Even if we didn't have ^Z as EOF, people would
still run into the carriage return/line feed conversion part of the
text mode != binary mode picture whenever binary files are read in text
mode.

Hopefully adding binary flags to some of the utilities will help...

Cheers,

Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com
-