Problem compiling/linking large number of object files.

Sergey Okhapkin sos@prospect.com.ru
Sat Aug 16 05:21:00 GMT 1997

Richard Stanton wrote:
> The problem actually seems to be related to using the emx C compiler
> under NT, rather than being related to GNU make. It's thus not exactly

Is emx C native win32 task or it is a dos program? The length of dos
program's command line is limited to 128 chars (remember the PSP format).

> At a command prompt, I tried the command
>
> gcc -o np2f.exe -Le:/lib np2f.o parse.o matrix.o nonpar.o nrutil.o
matstat.o constant.o sort.o locate.o quantile.o powi.o indsort.o brent.o
dfpmin.o gamma.o linmin.o gradcd.o mnbrak.o ranlib.o intutils.o ols.o
chol.o cholbksb.o invpd.o t.o f.o beta.o gammln.o mthutl.o -lm

> Nothing happened - I quickly got a command prompt back, but no .exe
> file was created. The problem seems to be something to do with the
> number of files, or length of the command line, as shorter lists of .o
> files work fine.

While building libX11.dll the ld's command line contains about 400
filenames and wraps to ~80 screen lines :-) But ld is win32 task.

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-