bash problem. (Am I missing something?)

Mikey jeffdbREMOVETHIS@netzone.com
Tue Dec 2 15:46:00 GMT 1997

try

source ./test.sh

#!/bin/sh causes the script to run in a subshell, so any exports
are lost when the toplevel shell resumes. at least I think that's right;^)
no idea where the error comes from unless #! aren't the very first 2 chars in the file.

to test shell scripts do

set -xv

either as the first command in the script, or at the command line,
and this will echo all commands.

set -axv

will export the -xv setting to subshells

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997 05:35:57 -0800, you wrote:

>I downloaded the coolview patch, and have run into a strange problem
>with bash:
>
>let's say I have a file called test.sh:
>------------------------------
>#!/bin/sh
>
>export TESTVAR=1
>------------------------------
>
>If I try to run it, (after chmod-ing and all that...)
>
>like this:
>
>sh-2.01$ . ./test.sh
>
>I get this error:
>
>sh: ./test.sh: error 0
>
>And the TESTVAR variable isn't defined.  Can anyone tell me what I'm
>doing wrong?
>
>Thanks.

(jeffdbREMOVETHIS@netzone.com)
delete REMOVETHIS from the above to reply
         Mikey

Windows vs Linux is a no-win situation.

Windows 95: --  32-bit extensions and a GUI
shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit OS
originally coded for a 4-bit processor
written by a 2-bit company that
can't produce 1 bit of quality.