building cygwin.dll

Larry Hall lhall@rfk.com
Tue Dec 2 20:23:00 GMT 1997

Perhaps someone can help me.

I'm trying to build the cygwin DLL.  I'm using the source with the original
b18 distribution plus the source for winsup and newlib from Sergey's
coolview-src_tar.gz, circa 10/30.  I'm building on NT 4.0 + sp3.  I have
substituted the original b18 signal.h for the one in Sergey's newlib
directory in addition to removing #ifdef OLDWAY statements from code in
this directory.  The configure went fine.  The source is in /usr/src/cdk
and the objects in /usr/obj/cdk.  All mounts are binary.  I start the
compile with

make all-target-winsup

in the /usr/obj/cdk directory.  This proceeds uneventfully until it reaches
the /usr/obj/cdk/gcc directory.  When it goes to compile
/usr/src/cdk/newlib/libm/math/s_ilogb.c, it complains:

/usr/obj/cdk/gcc/xgcc -B/usr/obj/cdk/gcc/ -idirafter
/usr/obj/cdk/./newlib/targ-include -idirafter
/usr/src/cdk/newlib/libc/include -nostdinc -O2  -O2 -DHAVE_OPENDIR
-DHAVE_RENAME -DSIGNAL_PROVIDED -fno-builtin
-I/usr/obj/cdk/newlib/./targ-include -I/usr/src/cdk/newlib/./libc/include
-c /usr/src/cdk/newlib/libm/math/s_ilogb.c
In file included from /usr/obj/cdk/gcc/include/syslimits.h:7,
                 from /usr/obj/cdk/gcc/include/limits.h:11,
                 from /usr/src/cdk/newlib/libm/math/s_ilogb.c:62:
/usr/obj/cdk/gcc/include/limits.h:116: limits.h: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [s_ilogb.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [math/lib.a] Error 1
make[1]: *** [libm/libm.a] Error 2
make: *** [all-target-newlib] Error 2

I've attached the limits.h and syslimits.h file the above error references.
My CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH and C_INCLUDE_PATH read as follows:

CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include:/usr/include/g++
C_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/include

These paths are valid.  Obviously, a limits.h file exists since its the
one complaining that it cannot find limits.h.  The line that generates
the complaint reads:

#include_next <limits.h>        /* recurse down to the real one */

I have not been able to find anything in man pages that tell me what
#include_next should do.  Can anyone tell me why I get this complaint and
what I might try to rectify it?

TIA,