Piped Commands Loss Of Output

Chris Faylor cgf@bbc.com
Thu Dec 4 07:28:00 GMT 1997

In article < 34856BB1.68CC2642@boxhill.com >,
Jason Tishler  <jt@boxhill.com> wrote:
>Has anyone noticed a transient loss of output with piped commands
>similar to the following:
>
>    $ fgrep export .bashrc | wc
>         12      30     339
>    $ fgrep export .bashrc | wc
>    $
>
>[snip]
>
>I am using b18 with Sergey's coolview 25 Nov 97.  I seem to remember
>that I began to observe this problem when I upgraded to one of Sergey's
>coolview ?? Sept 97 versions.  Has anyone observed this too?  Anyone
>know whats wrong?

I've observed this.  I added this to my .profile to "fix" the problem.
Maybe it will work for you:

	trap '' 5

In cygwin B18, signal 5 is SIGHUP.  I think there is a problem in recent
coolviews with the way SIGHUP is propagated to members of a process group.

The `trap' command merely causes the shell to ignore hangup signals.
--
http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."