case sensitive directory names

Kevin Hughes kh@wg.icl.co.uk
Fri Dec 5 01:25:00 GMT 1997

-----Original Message-----
From:	Jason Zions [SMTP:jazz@softway.com]
Sent:	Thursday, December 04, 1997 5:47 PM
To:	Kevin Hughes
Cc:	Gnuwin95 (E-mail)
Subject:	Re: case sensitive directory names

It's not gnuwin that "remembers" the original case you typed - it's the
filesystem.

NTFS and FAT16 (under NT, anyway) are case-storing filesystems; Win32 is
case-insensitive when looking at the stored filenames.

Instead of using the bash built-in pwd, use /bin/pwd to get the "real"
working directory in a case-consistent way. /bin/pwd walks the
filesystem to find out where you are, while the bash built-in tracks it
by assuming a starting point and watching the cd commands fly by. (If
you cd through a symlink, I think you'll get wildly different answers
from the builtin pwd and /bin/pwd; I don't know which is more useful to
your scripts.)

Jason

Jason,
	Thanks for the suggestion but you have left me confused.

The only pwd I know about is the pwd in the bash shell which I thought was the same as the pwd.exe in
/gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin. There is no /bin/pwd

I tried calling the /gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin/pwd directly and get exactly the same results as doing pwd

What is the /bin/pwd you are refering to

Kevin

-