Revised Cygwin32 licensing terms

Geoffrey Noer noer@cygnus.com
Thu Jul 10 19:22:00 GMT 1997

Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> In the free software community, the question for contributors is
> whether it makes sense to work on the cygwin32 Unix emulation code now
> that it is no longer free software.

Whether it will still be free software or not once it is under the new
license agreement is a question that could be debated for a long time.
(Let's not though).  :-)

Some people see Cygwin32 as significantly more free under the new
license since it will be much more usable for commercial projects.  Others
will feel that software not under the (L)GPL is not truly free.  Both
views are probably right to some extent.

Cygnus is a for-profit free software company.  This new license attempts to
make the Cygwin32 technology as usable as possible by others as long as
doing so does not directly work against our business interests.  This
seems quite fair to me.

Regards,

Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com