cygwin: Cygwin32: Catastrophic fail - unable to Create pinfo_mutex

Chris Faylor cgf@bbc.com
Mon Jul 28 08:21:00 GMT 1997

In article < 3.0.32.19970727183116.00bb3dd0@nuancecom.com >,
JP Shipherd  <jp@nuancecom.com> wrote:
>I recently had to reinstall NT.  It now resides on the D drive and the gnu
>tools continue to reside on the C drive.  Ever since then, when doing makes
>I often get:
>
>cygwin: Cygwin32: Catastrophic fail - unable to Create pinfo_mutex
>
>It then seems to continue on quite nicely.  However, a little system memory
>seems to be siphoned off after each of these messages which NT never
>manages to get back, meaning I need to reboot periodically.
>
>Anyone know what causes this?

I think there is a race of some kind in cygwin.dll which manifests as
the inability to create a mutex which is used to lock accesses to the
process table.

I have not had any problems like this since switching to Sergey's cygwin.dll:

	http://www.lexa.ru/sos

And, there are all sorts of other benefits to switch, too.
--
http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."