gnumake and NT

Roger Kuhlman rgr@rio.sci.ccny.cuny.edu
Thu Jun 5 11:44:00 GMT 1997

Greetings:

	I am currently working on porting a huge C++ project with
3-level recursive makefiles. I was getting a huge slowdown and
cannot fork type messages. Any file that was opened when the failed
fork occurred got pieces of the page-file written to it. This is NOT
a gnu-win problem, but an NT memory management problem.  This does
not ocurr under win95.

	I stopped these occurrences when I called make with the -j 1 option,
and set the recursive calls to make within the makefiles to also use
the -j 1 option.  Compile times speeded up and memory usage shrank
significantly. Does anyone know if any of the service packs cures this
problem??

	Thanks,
	Roger Kuhlman
	e-mail: rgr@rio.sci.ccny.cuny.edu